Decadence without guilt vs. sweet sugar dusted treats. Sharing some of my favourite places to drop into for nutritional snacks or sugary treats when you're mid-shopping-trek and you just need a boost...or breakfast on the run...or dessert on the way home! From raw uber-healthy cheesecake or banana salted caramel nut milk...to pistachio and spiced orange cake donuts and everything in between...
1. Raw Trader: They describe themselves as "decadence without guilt"...which is perfect because their sweet treats are organic/raw/vegan/vegetarian/paleo/gluten free/dairy free/sugar free and handmade on site. Plus, they're in a laneway off a laneway...could that be any more Melbourne?
2. 5 and Dime Bagel: Can't tell you how excited I was to discover authentic NYC style bagels in Melbourne...it was one thing I pined for since coming home from our trip! I also love that you can watch the bagels being made through a huge glass wall. They describe themselves as "traditional-ish..using tradition as a guide but not bound to it...expect some new twists." Love that, love them.
3. Waffee: Perfect Belgian waffles in a teeny tiny little shop on Swanson Street...there's only two tables and expect a queue but they're open late and I love them as a sweet treat on the way back to the hotel if you didn't already order dessert. I've only ever been there at night so I had no decent photos of actual waffles...the above coffee/waffle picture is from Urban Spoon.
4. Short Stop Donuts: Right next door to Raw Trader and with an Edward Norton look-a-like (seriously, twinsies, go see!) these peeps take their donut making seriously. Again with a glass wall to watch all the action, they're made during the day on site with seriously good natural ingredients. So if a donut features peanut butter and jam, they've likely made that peanut butter and jam themselves. They sell out often so if you want the full range go early...and follow them on instagram to get updates on the latest flavours. I'm talking Pistachio and Spiced Orange Cake, Coconut Lemon Meringue, Peanut Butter Caramel & Chocolate...plus traditionals as well.
5. Pressed Juices: Hidden away in Howey Place, they're perfect for a quick stop to grab a nutrition packed pressed juice on the run. Seasonal menus, made fresh daily, backed by an in-house team of nutritionists...AND you can taste test before you buy. I get the green juices when I feel like I've overdone it elsewhere (see above)...Berry Glow's are my favourite treat, and their Mylk range for when you need a little something extra to fill you up. Pecan and Walnut Milk with Banana, Chia, Dates, Mesquite, Himalayan Salt and Vanilla is my jam :)